Of the 57 victims of the infamous Maguindanáo Massacre (others report 64), more than half were journalists. Here is the complete list so far (in alphabetical order) of the 30 Media Martyrs of Maguindanáo (compiled by the Freedom Fund for Filipino Journalists):
• Adolfo, Benjie—Gold Star Daily, Koronadal City
• Araneta, Henry—radio dzRH, General Santos City
• Arriola, Mark Gilbert “Mac-Mac”—UNTV, General Santos
• Bataluna, Rubello—Gold Star Daily, Koronadal
• Betia, Arturo—Periódico Iní, General Santos
• Cabillo, Romeo Jimmy—Midland Review, Tacurong City
• Cablitas, Marités—News Focus, General Santos
• Cachuela, Hannibal—Punto News, Koronadal
• Caniban, John—Periódico Iní, General Santos
• Dalmacio, Lea—Socsargen News, General Santos
• Decina, Noel—Periódico Iní, General Santos
• Dela Cruz, Gina—Saksi News, General Santos
• Dohillo, Eugene—UNTV, General Santos
• Duhay, Jhoy—Gold Star Daily, Tacurong
• Gatchalián, Santos—dxGO, Daváo City
• Legarte, Bienvenido Jr.—Prontiera News, Koronadal
• Lupogan, Lindo—Mindanáo Daily Gazette, Daváo City
• Maravilla, Ernesto “Bart”—Bombo Radyo, Koronadal
• Merisco, Rey—Periódico Iní, Koronadal
• Momay, Reynaldo “Bebot”—Midland Review, Tacurong
• Montaño, Marifé “Neneng”—Saksi News, General Santos
• Morales, Rosell—News Focus, General Santos
• Núñez, Victor—UNTV, General Santos
• Perante, Ronnie—Gold Star Daily correspondent, Koronadal
• Parcón, Joel—Prontiera News, Koronadal
• Razón, Fernando “Rani”—Periódico Iní, General Santos
• Reblando, Alejandro “Bong”—Manila Bulletin, General Santos
• Salaysay, Napoleón—Mindanáo Gazette, Cotabato City
• Subang, Ian—Socsargen Today, General Santos
• Teodoro, Andrés “Andy”—Central Mindanáo Inquirer, Tacurong
More than a hundred journalists have already been killed since Marcos was ousted in 1986. More than half of them –74 to be exact– were executed since 2001, when Arroyo and the military (with the “covert” support of the US government, of course) stole the presidency.
This massacre will never weaken the media. Especially the new media — the bloggers.
This senseless violence has only strengthened our resolve to uphold the truth no matter what. We shall all continue the mission of The 30 Media Martyrs of Maguindanáo, whether in print or the airwaves or via the net.
So to all you demons in coat and tie (or in terno during SONAs), wallowing in power and bloody wealth inside your respective administrative buildings — BRING IT ON!
There is no way you can stop the Fourth Estate. And you can bet your ugly spouses and goblin-looking children with that.
Special thanks to the Facebook group WE CONDEMN THE MAGUINDANÁO MASSACRE for the photos. Add them up on your Facebook account and show your support against this evil!