This is horrible. Just horrible… Somebody has to be held accountable in order for this not to happen again!
Fire destroys 400-year-old church in BicolDecember 26, 2012 9:27 a.m.
A fire believed caused by an electrical overload destroyed a 400-year-old church in Camarines Norte province before dawn Wednesday.
The fire destroyed the San Pedro Apóstol church in Vinzons town, according to a report by radio dzBB’s Bícol affiliate.Parish priest Fr. Francisco Regala Jr. said the fire occurred between 1 and 2 a.m., adding they were not able to save the church’s historical artifacts.An initial investigation showed the fire started at the convent library and spread to the other parts of the church.
The fire reached the second alarm before it was put out at 5:30 a.m. Arson investigators are verifying information the fire stemmed from an electrical overload.
The report said the church was built in 1611. — LBG, GMA News
Sayang at di co pa mandín naquita itó. At the very least, this sacred heritage site was able to celebrate its last Christmas…
Many churches all over the Philippines have experienced the same fate during the Spanish, US, and Japanese eras. Even in modern times, accidental fires happen. But this is the first time that I’ve heard a heritage site to be gutted down by fire in modern times. Reckless, indeed.
Here in La Laguna province where I live, the churches of Biñán, Los Baños, and Liliw suffered the same tragedy. Nevertheless, they were able to rise from the ashes. Among the three mentioned, Liliw is a fine example. It was gutted down during the Tagalog rebellion sometime in 1898. It was reconstructed and was able to revive its Filhispanic architecture.
I pray that the San Pedro Apóstol Church in Vinzons, Camarines Norte would be able to revive its Baroque-style architecture soon. And in the new historical marker, they may add 26 December 2012 as an infamous date in the church’s four-century existence.
I wonder if this accident also happens in heritage sites abroad.