More good news!
Finally, Fr. Michael Sinnott has been redeemed from evil after a grueling 32-day captivity:
Irish priest Sinnott freed
Irish missionary Michael Sinnott has been freed by his kidnappers on Thursday morning, according to officials from the military, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the Irish government.
Lieutenant General Ben Dolorfino, Western Mindanao Command (Wesmincom) chief, said Moro Islamic Liberation Front members, who were tasked to help free Sinnot, turned over the priest to Ambassador Rafael Seguis, chairman of the government peace panel, and Major General Reynaldo Sealana, head of the government’s Coordinating Committee on the Cessation of Hostilities.
“We got Fr. Sinnott!” Wesmincom spokesman Major Ramon David Hontiveros said in a text message.
Prime Minister Brian Cowen said he was relieved to learn Sinnott had been freed, adding “all our prayers have been answered.”
“We are all relieved and thankful that Father Michael’s difficult ordeal has been brought to an end and that all our prayers have been answered,” he said.
“On behalf of the government, I want to commend the government of the Philippines and our Ambassador Richard O’Brien, and our officials who have all worked with great commitment and resolve to bring about Father Michael’s release,” he said in a statement.
The report of Sinnott’s release was also relayed by Irish Foreign Minister Micheal Martin late Wednesday in Belfast.
“He has been handed over to a clinic where he is being looked after and medically checked,” said Martin, who was in Belfast for meetings.
“He is as well as can be expected,” he added. Inquirer.net
Both the government and the MILF denied that no ransom was paid, but it’s not fully clear how the Irish priest from the Missionary Society of St. Columban was released. And why, if there was no money involved. MILF’s chief negotiator, Mohagner Iqbal, simply said that the ailing priest was turned over to them by the kidnappers without any ransom at all.
I don’t buy it.
But let’s just move on. Anyway, we all know where the Irish priest’s captors –including all those who collaborated with them– are headed (click here to check out their final destination — lest they repent).
This is great news not only for both the Philippine and Irish governments. This is good news for the whole country as well. No blood was shed. The scandal ended in triumph. And the crime was exceptionally shorter compared to other kidnap-for-ransom cases in the past. I should laud the Philippine government, but there’s something in this government that I just couldn’t trust…
Now, the next good news the Filipino nation is expecting should come this Sunday: Manny Pacquiáo should deliver the goodies!